Sunday, July 10, 2011

Technology fail

Me: "Fuck, fuck, fuckity fucking stupid piece of fucking shit"
Patrick: "Is everything ok?" He knows me so well
Me: "Isn't this supposed to be easy? This isn't easy. Why isn't this stupid thing connecting? Or downloading? Where's my fucking download?!"

Oops - Language warning: This blog contains language unsuitable for children or ladies.

I've blogged before about generations and where I fit in. Technically I should fit into the so-called 'technology generation' but today, and against all my best attempts, technology beat me.

I resisted getting an in car navigation system for ages. I didn't need one, I had a street directory. I could read maps and drive and find my way anywhere. Anywhere. And if the place I wanted to go wasn't in my street directory, well it could go to hell. My lovely husband Patrick was keen to get a sat nav system. He researched them, spent hours looking at them, and generally annoyed the crap out of me talking about them. I avoided buying him one for Christmas only to have him give me on for my birthday in January. Gee, thanks babe.

I resisted using it. I still had my trusty old street directory so I was sweet. Until the day I borrowed my mums car and used her sat nav. Life changing day. Well, not quite life changing but it got me thinking about my new birthday sat nav. I did like that there was someone in the car who directed me to where I had to be, but I didn't like the feeling of generally having no clue where I was or how to get home. It was on this occasion that I was traveling over the other side of town, in an area I could get to with my brilliant written down directions as long as I saw the landmarks (there's the church with the weird tree, there's the strawberry farm, there's the BP, we're here!)

So to Patricks gloating glory I started using my sat nav on journeys I would have previously checked the street directory. And I liked it. It was easy. I could just press a few buttons and I knew how long it would take and which was the quickest way to get there. Things had been going fine with me and the sat nav.

Until today. Today I decided that it was time to fancy up my lovely little sat nav. Now being somewhat part of the technology generation I figured this wouldn't be too difficult. Just plug it in and click download. But no. The program didn't like that both Patrick and I have accounts, it didn't like that we have 2 different versions because our sat nav systems required different ones, and it didn't like me. I'm positive that plays a big part, the computer and sat nav system ganged up on me and threw a technology hissy fit. So I threw one back.

I uninstalled, reactivated, reset and did everything I could think of to beat this f*%king system. And I made some headway. I downloaded successfully. I downloaded to Patricks account successfully. I installed new programs successfully. Things seemed good. Until I turned on the sat nav to select the new fancy voice over I'd downloaded. Nothing. Nada. Just the same old voices from yesterday. Where was my Snoop Dogg???

It took a fair more amount of time, and plenty of swearing, until I found the words I'd dreaded. "Premium voice services are not available on the following systems:...XXX.... Mine.... XXX"  

Well fuck it.

And after all this swearing and carrying on, guess who's sat nav now has Snoop Dogg directing them? Fo shizzle my pizzle. Yeah, Patrick.



Side note: Mum if you read this, sorry xx

No comments:

Post a Comment