Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I've been to Bali too...

(Well actually I haven't)


But Red Gum have been to Bali (they wrote a song about it) and it seems every other person you meet has been too. I haven't been anywhere postcard worthy. In fact, my passport is embarrassingly void of travel stamps. But that's cool. While I don't have a clue what customs look like (apart from watching Customs on TV) and I've never been to the International Departure gates I do have other travel skills.


I'm awesome at finding my way around the airport. Find the best parking, closest doors and beer. Standing strong for everyone around, as there are tears and hugs before you head off on your amazing adventure. And waiting for ages as you're naturally the last to disembark the plane, and then shop duty free.


For all this I love the airport. I love watching the people coming and going and imagining what they are up to. I love making up lives for the people getting off the plane and I love the chance that you might glimpse a famous person. Like world famous surfer Mick Fanning. Who we were convinced we saw at the International airport on Sunday morning. We didn't though.


This is Mick Fanning. We didn't see him

Since Sunday morning I've had the Red Gum song stuck in my head. This is because I was at the airport awaiting the arrival home of a family member and the plane to land before hers had flown in from Bali.


This I know, not from reading the arrivals board, but by watching the passengers come though the magic glass sliding doors. There were families. Lots of families. Young girls with braids in their hair. There were coloured beads and shells galore. Boys who wore boardies and straw fedora hats. Mums who were tanned and relaxed. Dads who wore boardies and Bintang singlets.
There were the "surf holiday" boys who chased the sun. The lads who were ridiculously tanned and carried surf boards, normally more than one.
There were the honeymooners. The loved up couples who were tanned and gorgeous. All these people came through the doors, but they weren't who we were waiting for.


Someone I know went to Bali and all I got was this crappy Bintang singlet

The next plane load of people to come through had come from Dubai via Singapore. This was the plane we were waiting for. There were lots of older casual businessmen first, wearing jeans and sports jackets and gold chains. These guys either came through from Dubai and had pockets stuffed full of diamonds, or they had come from Singapore and left their new lady loves behind. We doubted mega rich Dubai dealing businessmen would bother catching just a horrible flight just to save a few dollars. So that left the other sort...

Next were the tourists. People who were either returning from holiday or starting a holiday in Australia. They seemed unsure for the most part, but that could have more to do with the early hour of the morning.

Finally, and I do mean finally, she was there. My mum had returned from a 7 week European holiday, tired but having thoroughly enjoyed herself.

And, our very long airport wait was rewarded. God bless ya Ma, you know us so well. Duty free cheers to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment